Sunday, August 16, 2009

Orientation

So I've been oriented. It is such a strange affair really. Orientation meant a day and a half of having information thrown at me. It is a lot and all at once. In a period of 10 hours (Friday night and all day Saturday) I managed to take my first writing class, eat h'our d'ourves (ok, pounce on the nearest cocktail waiter), get a locker, get my profile picture taken, file my request to transfer to full time, file out more promises/ waivers/ honor code forms than I can count, learn the basics of law and econ, talk to some peer mentors, learn about Career Services, get the tour of the library basics, and have some bar-b-que. I was exhausted at the end.



I did manage it though. It helped to keep a smile on my face. As silly as it sounds, smiling helps. People seemed more willing to talk to me, and honestly, by forcing myself to be happy, I ended up actually being happy, despite the scary amount of information being thrown at me.



Along the way, I did pick up on a few useful tips:


  • Don't be scared (it is a scary thing, but Orientation is there to help)

  • Read through all the papers they give you in the Orientation package. I haven't found out if they are useful yet, but I have a feeling they will be.

  • Talk to the student volunteers. They are fountains of knowledge when it comes to professors, clubs, and general student life.

  • Don't leave SBA (student bar association) events until the alcohol runs out.

With orientation out of the way, I am now officially a 1L (or at least in my mind). Tomorrow I hit the library and start plowing through my assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment