Monday, December 14, 2009

Exams- the EXTREMELY brief recap

Saturday was a big day for me. It was my last exam.

What does that mean? First and foremost, it means that I am now 2.5 years away from becoming a real lawyer (God help us all). Secondly, it means that I can sit back and begin to evaluate my habits and see what I did right and wrong (a process that I won't actually post about until I get my grades back.) Third, it means that I begin my summer job search. It is a risky strategy that I will post about momentarily. Finally, it means that I get to breath for a moment, a process that I will discuss now.

Basically, this whole breathing, relaxing thing is unreal to me. I have plenty of classmates still taking exams, so I don't want to out right dance and celebrate. Furthermore, my first three points (lawyering, evaluating, and job searching) really are lurking in the back of my mind, if not the front. I don't know what my grades will be until January, so I don't know if I successfully completed my first semester. I just know that I completed it. I don’t know that I was doing this whole law school thing right, or maybe I need time to change my ways (I think I did it right, but I need some cold hard facts to help me decide- it is the math geek in me.) And this whole applying for jobs thing, well, it is scary, hard, and I am pretty sure I just bombed a phone interview an hour ago. I really don’t want to go through that process (although my next post will have a happier, lighter tone).

So what did I learn over this exam period?
-I learned that study groups can be an amazing thing.
-That an outline should be learned backwards and forwards, that way during the exam you don’t actually need to look at it.
-That freaking out does not help.
- Conversely, cookies and coffee do help.
-Talking about the exam after the fact will only make you feel worse. You can’t change the exam, so you don’t need to be reminded of a point you may have missed.

As I turn from my first semester towards my second, I await my grades and go through the arduous task of applying for summer internships. Also, I am drinking gingerbread mochas and enjoying some sleeping in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment