Friday, September 4, 2009

Got to think about the future

So less than a month in, 12 school days to be precise, I am already worried about what I'll be doing after I graduate. I've just a started and I have to assume that I am graduating already. Yes, yes, I should not doubt that, but in my mind, the thought of graduating is so far away, I've yet to get one single grade. How the hell am I supposed to know even if I will be able to get a job after graduation? Here are a few things that I've been up to:
  • Attended a presentation about jobs at the DOJ. In order to get even an unpaid internship I must start applying after December 1st, when ABA states that 1Ls can start looking for jobs. Merry Christmas DOJ!
  • Attended a trial advocacy meeting. Halfway through the meeting signed up to be a law clerk online (because the spots were all going to be taken if I waited until after to meeting to sign up- like were supposed to. Word to the wise, be nice to the people around you and don't make enemies. I was nice so someone let me use their computer to sign up.)
  • Attended a meeting for people interested in a banking law internship. Application due in 3 days.
  • Attended a presentation about jobs in the government. Big message of the day- network network network! (OMFG, network?)

So here it is, already there are 4 meetings pertaining to life outside of law school (well, 3.5 trial ad is a competition, but can really help in getting a job post grad.) I guess from this point I've got to put some faith in myself. Unlike undergrad, where I spent the first two years thinking that the fact that I am in school is good enough, law school is setting the fire under my ass early. It is not good enough that I made it. I've got to be awesome at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment